Apple Butternut Squash Soup
- 6 to 8 cups butternut squash cubes, about 1 inch
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium apples, chopped, skin on
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- Ground cinnamon to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until it turns translucent, about 7 to 8 minutes.
Add the squash, apples, broth, nutmeg, and bay leaf, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Allow the soup to cool slightly. Remove the bay leaf and purée the soup in a blender (or directly in the pot with an immersion blender) until smooth, using caution while working with hot liquids. Season with extra salt, pepper, ground cinnamon and preferred herbs to taste.
Serving size: 1 cup